If Spring cleaning is on your mind, good! As much as HouseHeal is about releasing the energetic & emotional hold “stuff” can have on you, Spring is not typically a time for personal reflection. Spring is a time for action!
So, take advantage of the collective energy around Spring Cleaning, put on your jeans and get to work.
Here are 5 HouseHeal tips to make your Spring Cleaning extra powerful this year:
- Focus on what you can do yourself without someone else’s permission – things like culling your wardrobe, or your books and papers. If you choose to work on a shared area such as the kitchen let go of needing or wanting other people’s participation, as it may or may not happen. Relax and discover just how much YOU can do, joyfully, yourself.
- Completion is vital – have an immediate exit plan for your “stuff”. Sorting clothes for charity doesn’t help you if the bags are still in your bedroom three days later. Once you have things packed, head to a drop-off box immediately. Put “free stuff” on your lawn with abandon. Take advantage of local enviro-recycling days for old electronics. Adopt a new mantra “I release with ease” and feel the freedom.
- Start where it feels easiest – enjoy the thrill of instant gratification. Unless dealing with “heavy energy” calls to your soul right now, leave detailed sorting for another time. It’s more productive to box up old financial files that are ready to be shredded than to try sorting a box of old photos and letters. Shredding services are fast and easy these days – and clearing out old files frees up BIG physical and emotional space. Whether it’s papers, books, furniture, old bedding – go for the easy-to-identify first, and when you start to feel stuck, switch stuff. Spring cleaning is about volume and speed.
- Splurge on hiring help for actual cleaning, even if just for a day. As much as you can, focus your time and energy on the tasks that require your personal attention…like purging.If you are determined to clean behind appliances, wash floors and cupboards yourself, then go for it, but hire someone to help (or bribe a friend) and then work along with them. Remember, people who live in Green Zones seek and welcome help (if you don’t understand this reference, please read my book!).
- Imagine how it would feel to have your home feel “Spring cleaned” all year. Close your eyes and imagine what it would be like to have everything neat, clean and organized, with your home bright, beautiful, functional and welcoming, full of love, with happy and wonderful things going on inside – every day. Picture it. Feel it. Smell it. Breathe it in deeply. Hold the vision, and say thank you. Remember to go back to that feeling, again and again. Enjoy – and see what happens!
Good luck! Have fun! Do all you can (plus a little more!) – and remember to be kind to yourself. Always. Let me know how you do – I always love to hear from you.
P.S. Remember, your home doesn’t reflect who you are, it reflects how you are. Who you are is always beautiful! If ever you need to be reminded of that fact, I encourage you to read (and re-read) my book HouseHeal: Transform Your Life through the Power of Home – it is truly life changing. You can order it here.
P.P.S. If you (or your friends and family) live in the Toronto area, I am offering a small group in-person course of HouseHeal into Practice starting after the long weekend in May. HouseHeal into Practice is a powerful course for people who feel called to bring more love, ease and beauty into their lives, beginning at home. Help get word out – there are just 7 spots in each class. Registration details are here.